[sword-devel] ISV status?

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Thu Jan 3 23:35:47 MST 2013

On 1/3/2013 12:30 PM, Andrew Thule wrote:
> I should add that prior to doing anything I did check the isv.conf file
> which says this:
> DistributionLicense=Copyrighted; Permission to distribute granted to
> CrossWire
>

>  From .conf file at least, any reasonable person would conclude that
> permission had already been obtained to distribute (and redistribute)
> ISV and any additional revisions.

We've actually had specific discussions with you about our not wanting
you to redistribute our modules, specifically because of copyrighted
content such as this for which WE have permission. YOU are not
CrossWire. Any reasonable person would conclude that he did not have
permission to distribute unless his name were, by some coincidence,
"CrossWire".

I'm curious what your train of thought was that led you to conclude that
YOU should distribute a module that we were not distributing, when your
basis for distribution was a belief that WE had permission to distribute it.

The .conf you had posted obviously was not for that version of the
module, given that the SourceType was wrong and all of the other details
simply reflected our released version:
http://www.crosswire.org/ftpmirror/pub/sword/raw/mods.d/isv.conf

The basis for the module you posted was outdated at the time it was
produced and had been removed from the publisher's website by then. The
OSIS document produced from this was furthermore not valid XML (unless
it has been updated in the last year). So conversion from a Word
document is still necessary. And unless the process for converting from
that Word document can be replicated (via scripts) the whole exercise of
producing that OSIS document was without value.

--Chris