[sword-devel] Beta modules question

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Thu Jan 3 00:28:10 MST 2013

On 1/1/2013 7:27 PM, Nic Carter wrote:

> Heya all,
>
> Just a quick question about beta modules.
> Currently we have the wiki page that is meant to be where we "report" problems. I have been emailed again about the Barnes Notes module and looking at the entry for it on the wiki at http://crosswire.org/wiki/Modules_in_the_beta_repository#Commentary_Modules shows that the reported issues I was emailed are already on that wiki page.
> Looking at the conf file for the module doesn't let me know the source of the text, and so there is nothing I can do to look into the problems reported.
>
> My suggestion is that perhaps we should remove modules from the beta repo that are not going to be updated? It has been 5 years since that module was "updated" and these bugs in the module have been noted at several points on the wiki since then, including in 2008, 2009 & 2012 (observed via a very quick search of the history of that wiki page).
> Alternatively, for this module a quick re-encoding as UTF-8 would fix the most noticeable problem ;)

At this point, I wouldn't recommend directing users to download from the
beta repository. We don't release new content to beta any longer and the
content that was reasonably good has long been moved to other
repositories. So the content remaining in beta is either fairly broken,
relies on features not well-supported by front ends, or has been
orphaned because whoever is responsible is no longer contributing to the
project.

I've removed Barnes and am working on a replacement right now, having
found a reasonably good source text. The existing module was badly
malformed and not a candidate for simple re-encoding & recompiling.

--Chris