[sword-devel] KJV update

DM Smith dmsmith at crosswire.org
Tue Feb 19 09:25:32 MST 2013

On Feb 19, 2013, at 11:12 AM, Chris Little <chrislit at crosswire.org> wrote:

> On 2/19/2013 6:43 AM, DM Smith wrote:
>>
>> On Feb 19, 2013, at 8:55 AM, Ben Morgan <benpmorgan at gmail.com
>> <mailto:benpmorgan at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi DM,
>>>
>>> I'm looking at it for how it displays in BPBible. Mostly it seems to
>>> show up fine.
>>> At the moment the code I had in place actually shows the tr greek text
>>> links, though it doesn't know what to look them up in (there's no
>>> dictionary matching the tr: scheme, right?).
>>
>> There are a few other modules that have lemmas other than "strong:". If
>> you want Strong's numbers look only for strong:.
>>
>>> I think I'll make it ignore them for now. It would be nice to have a
>>> common way with non-strongs type lemmas to
>>> 1) have them togglable with options (on a class by class basis? what
>>> would you label this for tr: - TR? Greek?)
>>
>> The tr: lemma is the original greek from the TR Bible module. The src
>> attribute gives the position of that word in the same verse.
>>
>> You can use the tr: value for an interlinear. You could also show the tr
>> value and use the strong for the link.
>
> A small note on the choice of lemma workIDs:
> Our ad hoc standard way of identifying lemma types is to use a workID of lemma.<source identifier>. The only module I can think of that employs this is MorphGNT, which has lemma.Strong. You might use something like lemma.TR, given the source. There's some special logic in the OSISLemma filter for workIDs of this form, IIRC.
>
> (Brief) documentation, to prove I'm not just making this up :), at:
> http://www.crosswire.org/wiki/OSIS_Bibles#Marking_other_lemmas

OK. I can change it to lemma.TR:, rather than tr:. And I can add the proper workID to the header (which I forgot to do). Troy has already incorporated this change into a program, but that would be a very simple change for him to make.

But then what is the "proper" way to mark up the content of the lemma?

It is not a reference to that work but a word in the parallel verse in that module at the location given by the src attribute. And it has to interpret the src= value based upon the variant that is used by the KJV from that verse. Some verses have multiple variants, so the choice of earlier affects later.

The purpose of this was to record the original Greek used in the src= reference. Maybe, it really isn't lemma.TR, but something else?

> If you validate the OSIS with this, the validator will complain. Ignore it. The bug is in the schema.

I've my own modified schema to avoid bug complaints, I'll add it to that. Going forward w/ such a schema is a separate discussion and should be on its own thread.

-- DM