[sword-devel] Locale differences

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Sun Sep 16 17:11:31 MST 2012

On 09/16/2012 12:40 PM, Andrew Thule wrote:
> Needless osis filler ....?
>
> I assume it's gone this way because modules needed conf-like influence
> but the (osis) standard moves too slowly?  (I think I read in this
> list someone wondering if people were still working on it - with the
> recommendation Sword developers should just adopt Sword specific
> OSISisms).
>
> If so, I understand the practicality, but its too bad all of the .conf
> stuff couldn't be contained in the module so we could do away with
> having to generate .conf files apart from the modules' osis (or if its
> a resource issue, make it so the .confs could be generated from the
> module itself).  The fact there are .conf suggests a defect in the
> standard.

<identifier>, <rights>, and <description> are the elements that have
close analogues in our .conf format.

Of that set, exactly zero are guaranteed to be in the right format
elements, provided they have precisely the correct type, could be used
directly in .confs. <description>, since it's a string value, could
elements are nearly guaranteed to be in the wrong format.

They're different mechanisms for encoding data needed for different
purposes. It's not as if we didn't have Sword's .conf format in
approximately its current state at the time we helped create OSIS.

--Chris