[sword-devel] Partial Strong's and Robinson's <w>

Matěj Cepl mcepl at redhat.com
Mon Mar 5 04:00:37 MST 2012

When I have finally CzeCSP in some shape, I am going through remaining
smaller (or more complicated) issues. One of them are special elements
marking things which are difficult to translate to Czech. E.g., I have
an element

<clen> (that’s “article” in Czech) which marks a definite article
(otherwise not available in Czech, no Slavic language has articles,
except for Bulgarians) for words Bůh (God), duch (spirit), slovo (word)
and pravda (truth). So for example in Mt 1:23 reads in the original
source file (with some other elements, not relevant for this example):

	Hle, ta panna otěhotní a porodí syna a dají mu jméno Immanuel
	což v překladu znamená: <clen>Bůh</clen> s námi.

(particular verse is translated into KJV as)
	Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a
	son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being
	interpreted is, <clen>God</clen> with us.

(interestingly even English translations don't have a definite article
here, although of course they could, but the questions of translation
are not my concern).

I have created this XSLT template for this:

	<xsl:template match="clen">
		<xsl:element name="w">
			<xsl:attribute
                              name="lemma">strong:G3588</xsl:attribute>
			<xsl:attribute
                              name="morph">robinson:T-DSM</xsl:attribute>
		</xsl:element>
			<xsl:apply-templates />
	</xsl:template>

(i.e., add in front of the particular <w> element for the Greek word
“ho” which is the definite article).

Similarly, the Czech translation doesn't distinguish well between
original Greek words “sarx” and “soma” (which are however quite
important for understanding St. Paul’s theology) so there are special
elements <sarx> and <soma> (and some others) which I translate simply as:

	<xsl:template match="sarx">
		<xsl:element name="w">
			<xsl:attribute
                              name="lemma">strong:G4561</xsl:attribute>
			<xsl:apply-templates />
		</xsl:element>
	</xsl:template>

My question is whether it is right to mark in OSIS only something like
10 words with Strong's numbers and Robinson's morphology, or should I
stick with (what's in the printed Bible) various marks like *, ⁆, ⁅, † etc.?

Similar question is element <spoj> (from Czech “union” == “spojení”).
When the Greek expression needs to be present in multiple words, they
are in majority cases marked by the element <spoj>. E.g., Mt 3:17
Is there a way how to mark this with OSIS tags?

Blessings,

Matěj

Home is where ~/.bashrc is.
    -- from Usenet