[sword-devel] OSIS Users Manual considered confusing

DM Smith dmsmith at crosswire.org
Sat Mar 3 10:22:29 MST 2012

On Mar 3, 2012, at 11:47 AM, Matěj Cepl wrote:

> On 3.3.2012 15:18, Troy A. Griffitts wrote:
>> So, what was your question? :)
>
> There are many, but the one specific to my original post (and yes, one should never write email messages in anger) is simple: how should I code chapter with its title?

The OSIS Bibles wiki entry is meant to be a living document to address such confusion. I consider this page to be our "Best OSIS Practices for Bibles" document.

See: http://crosswire.org/wiki/OSIS_Bibles#Marking_sections_and_titles

Basically, a title goes within the book or chapter element that it titles. For verses, it should stand before the verse. There is ambiguity about a title that is before the first verse in a chapter.

Titles for sections should be within a section div. This solves the ambiguity problem for titles before the first verse.

I always recommend creating an OSIS document as it should be and using xslt to dumb it down, if needed. It may be that section divs need to be removed (with the content retained) for the SWORD engine to properly handle titles for verses.

Hope this helps.

In Him,
	DM