[sword-devel] Legitimate FTP Mirrors & Module Distribution Rights Question

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 17:04:15 MST 2012

On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 6:51 PM, Karl Kleinpaste <karl at kleinpaste.org> wrote:
> Greg Hellings <greg.hellings at gmail.com> writes:
>> if I had electronic copies of the "Student's Bible" in KJV and my
>> Defender's Study Bible also in KJV, both of them might want to just
>> name their module the "KJV". The application should be able to discern
>> between "Zondervan's KJV" and "ICR's KJV".
>
> Even in such a case, the publisher would surely be interested in giving
> their special version a unique module name, expressly to make it
> obviously distinguished from all those other, boring versions of the
> same thing that they've made ever so exciting in their new edition.

Remember that module IDs, which are what I'm talking about, are
extremely limited in which characters can be used. I believe A-Za-z0-9
and maybe - and/or _. Regardless of the language, etc of the module.
Theoretically that could easily lead to a collision between modules,
especially if we exercise less control over them. Practically, it
hasn't been a problem yet besides the corner case of occasional
developer whims.

--Greg