[sword-devel] [jsword-devel] Stem searching

Troy A. Griffitts scribe at crosswire.org
Tue Jul 10 17:09:58 MST 2012

Chris,

We're toyed around with the best way to add lemma+morph searching in
SWORD but haven't finalized anything yet.

Indexing Morphology codes won't helps.  This would give you 2 fields
which need to be used together.

For example, if you wish to find ????? only in the nominative within 3
words of any present, active, indicative, 2 persons singular or plural
verb, you could not satisfy your search.

Believe it or not, end users of tools like Bibleworks seem quite happy
to learn odd syntax like:

"?????@* *@PAI2?"~3

Of course GUI tools to help build that syntax for them is also desired.

This it the direction we're heading, but would require lemma encoding
changed from strongs to lexical form.

Presently we could nearly obtain this by building an index as (from the
start of John 1.1):

G1722 at PREP G746 at N-DSF G2258 at V-IXI-3S

But this would require users to know strongs numbers rather than lexical
form, which would almost certainly need a GUI to help them build the
search syntax.

Hope this helps,

Troy