[sword-devel] preverse divs

DM Smith dmsmith at crosswire.org
Wed Feb 29 08:01:28 MST 2012

David,
This encoding will cause problems. When osis2mod sees your markup, it
doesn't care that you have gone to the trouble to do its work. It will
wrap your pre-verse div with its own.

Here is what osis2mod does:

Osis2mod takes everything and stuffs it into a verse slot in the module
storage. For the time being, it does not support module and testament
intros, instead treating them as book intros. When a verse is rendered,
it is split into 2 parts: pre-verse and verse. The basic idea is that
the front-end programmer can say:
Render pre-verse material
output a verse number
Render verse material.

Previously, the only pre-verse material was one or more titles. Now it
can be anything that is valid OSIS. For example, it could be an
introductory paragraph and titles.

The responsibility of osis2mod is to take the stuff that stands between
a verse end and a verse start and put it into a verse slot in the module
storage.

Between verses and splits the stuff between the prior verse and the
following verse. Ignoring the complication of the first verse, basically
when osis2mod find a verse end tag (either as </verse> or <verse
eID="xxx"/>) it considers that closing tags following it belong to the
prior verse and everything from the first opening tag belonging to the
following verse.

The material that is associated with the prior verse is merely appended
to it. With the following verse it is put into a pre-verse div which are
encoded as milestones in the form in your example.

Your example of Matt 1.1 is problematic for osis2mod, what does it do
with markup before chapter 1, verse 1? Is it a verse title or a chapter
intro? I can see your intent with the section div is to make it into a
verse title. Osis2mod should put it into Matt.1.1. To see if it goes in
Matt.1.0 or Matt.1.1 you can add the -d 2 flag and build an uncompressed
module, in which each stored verse is on a line to itself.

Hope this helps,
     DM