[sword-devel] Support for linked verse range markers?

DM Smith dmsmith at crosswire.org
Mon Feb 13 07:46:23 MST 2012

IMHO, there are two separate issues here.
1) Appropriate markers for a verse.
2) Lossiness of information in the construction of an OSIS Bible module.

I'll answer the first:
As you noted it is important for the verse markers to represent the range. (In the case of JSword it is even more important not to show the verse over and over again!)

However, the control of the presentation of the verse marker should not be the content of the n attribute on the verse element. A few reasons:
1) The value of the n attribute is arbitrary. The value could be "Revelation of Saint John 3:1 to 4". Rather than the expected "1-4."
2) The user may need numbers in a different script, appropriate for their locale, say Farsi.
3) The user may have selected a frontend capability to show the marker in a particular form. E.g. Full book name in the current locale, chapter and verse. And such a form may differ from one locale to the next.

It really needs to be under the control of the frontend and perhaps the user.

However, it'd be great to have more support in the engine than the primitive isLinked (or whatever it is called) to get the verse marker. There are two specific places that it is needed: The display of the verse in context (e.g. chapter display and the display of the verse in isolation (e.g. search results list). It also has bearing on the display of verses in parallel view, which typically use table cells to house verse content. Knowing the size of the range might be useful for the computation of rowspan for HTML, for instance.

In Him,
	DM