[sword-devel] Support for linked verse range markers?

David Haslam dfhmch at googlemail.com
Mon Feb 13 00:28:23 MST 2012

On those front-ends that I use (in Windows), for places where there are
linked verses, the application generally displays only the verse number tag
for the first verse of the range of text.

Yet the publishers of these translations have usually gone to the trouble to
print a proper verse range tag.
That we generally depart from how printed editions appear is (in this
respect) a deficiency of our software.

Even when the OSIS source text includes the extra attribute n="X" for the
milestoned verse element
<verse sID="reference.m-n" osisID="reference.m" ...
osisID="reference.n" n="m-n"/>
it's a known fact that, from quite early on, someone made the decision to
discard the information provided in the n="X" attribute.

The new reader, seeing the gap in adjacent verse tags, will naturally
question, "Why are some verses [apparently] missing?" or even, "Have those
pesky Christians corrupted the Injil?"

So by doing what we do, we are adding needlessly to the mental obstacles
being faced by new readers of the Bible, if all they have access to is a
digital edition.

The lengthy ongoing discussion about footnote and reference tags is what
prompted me to raise this new topic - though it's a subject I've been
thinking about for quite some time.
So I'm "striking while the iron is hot", as it were.

cf. http://crosswire.org/wiki/Talk:OSIS_Bibles#Linked_verses
which, although related, does not directly address this point.

It's not helped by the fact that osis2mod also applies a transform which
replaces each of the paired sID/eID attribute values with a unique value,
but which are not related directly to the numerical values of the verse
tags, nor indeed the actual complete references.

David