[sword-devel] CrossWire News ain't that new!

Jonathan Morgan jonmmorgan at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 04:36:25 MST 2012

Hi Matej,

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 10:02 PM, Matej Cepl <mcepl at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 11.2.2012 23:32, Jaak Ristioja wrote:
>
>> There's even one dating October 23, 2006. Twice I've written about
>> this issue in this mailing list wishing that they'd add news about
>> new BibleTime releases... but no avail. I guess they are not kidding.
>> :(
>>

> And that Android thing? If you want to find on
> http://www.crosswire.org/**sword/software/index.jsp<http://www.crosswire.org/sword/software/index.jsp>about smartphone
> front-ends, good luck! Try Google, it works way better.
>
> Also, my current pet-peeve with most free software announcements. See this
> one:
>
>  BPBible 0.5.1 released Posted 7:21PM on Sunday, February 12, 2012 by
>> Jon Morgan
>>
>> BPBible 0.5.1 has been released. This is principally a bug-fix
>> release. It can be downloaded here.
>>
>> See here for more details of the changes included.
>>

> How can reader of the News page found what exactly BPBible is about? Would
> putting it like "BPBible, sword front-end for <foo> containing <some
> awesomeness>" be so horribly difficult for the announcement author?
>
> Actually, when going to http://bpbible.com/, I learn that BPBible is
> "Flexible Bible Study". Awesome! I have still no clue what the software is
> about.
>
> Does it run on Mac, iPhone, iPad, Android, my Linux box? Browsing a bit on
> the site, it looks like a front-end for Windows (where of course ignorance
> of the rest of the universe is assumed ;)), but who will even go to that
> website?

Fair comments.  The author would get bored of writing and reading such
things over and over again, but of course the news articles are not written
for the author.  The news is also principally written for the website,
where in theory the information about what the software is should be
plainly visible on other parts of the site.  This has not been updated for
a while and may not be plainly visible anyway.  In an aggregation service
like SWORD the information you suggest does make sense to include in the
news.

I personally have never liked the catchphrase "Flexible Bible Study", but
nor have I taken any trouble to find a better one.

Windows is the platform on which almost all development is done and on
which almost all users work.  As a result, it is the best supported
platform.
BPBible used to work on Linux and still theoretically could be made to work
on Linux, though due to ongoing issues with distribution maintainers and
XULRunner I don't know of any instances in the wild for a while.
Unfortunately, Wine is now probably the best supported option there, and I
think I've heard mixed reports from users on how good it is for BPBible.
BPBible has been known to work natively on Mac OS X, and some development
has even been done there.  However, we've never officially supported it
(and I doubt the resulting product would be considered "Mac-like").

Hope that answers your questions.

Jon

Blessings,