[sword-devel] sword -> epub ?

Ben Morgan benpmorgan at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 15:13:57 MST 2012

I've been working a little on a converter based on the BPBible code to put
e.g. the KJV on my kindle (after conversion from epub through Calibre). It
looks like it's not to difficult to do.

At the moment I've got basic Bible text showing up in Calibre, but as
Calibre uses webkit in its epub viewer, I expect lots of the CSS which I
borrowed from BPBible's CSS won't work in other epub viewers.
I still have a few features I want to put in like xrefs, notes, and extra
modules (e.g. generate a KJV + strongs + ISBE + ... in one epub file, with
some smartish linkage between the content)

On my Kindle I have the ESV student study Bible, and it works pretty well -
you can go directly to a verse through the index feature, or you use the
menu to get to a book, and the book introduction page has a link to the
chapters in the book (which is how I mostly navigate). x-refs, footnotes
and study notes are hyperlinks to sections at the end of each book. Random
access works pretty well, though not quite as well as in a paper Bible.
I'll probably use it as a model for navigation (not sure about the index
items side of it, but the rest of it)

God Bless,
Ben
 For I have no pleasure in the death of anyone,
declares the Lord God; so turn, and live.”
Ezekiel 18:32 (ESV)