[sword-devel] locales.d submission Inuk: iu.conf & iu-utf8.conf

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Wed Aug 15 08:55:21 MST 2012

On 08/15/2012 08:26 AM, Andrew Thule wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 10:47 AM, Chris Little <chrislit at crosswire.org> wrote:
>> On 08/15/2012 07:30 AM, Andrew Thule wrote:
>
>> ᐂᑉᐸᖏᑦ (with a ring) would be transliterated aaippangit.
>>
>> If ᐄᑉᐸᖏᑦ (with a dot) was intended, that would be transliterated iippangit.
>
> It's not clear to me where the error lies, whether it is a
> Latin->Inuktitut transliteration problem, or a the wrong syllabic used
> in translation or simply the difference between regional convention.
>  From the quote you gave it seems there are actually three
> possibilities:
>
> ᐂ, ᐄ, ᐊᐃ.
>
> If it is simply a transliteration problem the fix should be easy
> enough (search/replace) though.  I'm willing to try to resolve this.
> Why do you believe ᐂ is incorrect?  Is it because of the comment '.. I
> have not seen this used in texts."?  I am seeing it used in a texts
> (namely the bible) so before I question anyone else, I want to ensure
> I understand the concern.

I think David's concern was that the characters with ring were supposed
to have dots instead. This could be an encoding error due to a mistake
in transcription or a conversion error.

If this is the intended spelling of these words, i.e. if aaippangit was
intended rather than iippangit, then there's no problem with including
the spellings that use the ring characters in the Bible. However, I
would still add extra lines to the locale that have separate <i>
characters for every <Caai> and <Cai> character. So, for example, the
Exodus block would be:

ᒨᓯᓯᑦ ᐂᑉᐸᖏᑦ=Exod
ᒨᓯᓯᑦ ᐋᐃᑉᐸᖏᑦ=Exod
2 ᒨᓯᓯᑦ=Exod
2ᒨᓯᓯᑦ=Exod

with the first line in its original form, followed by the form that is
restricted to the standard orthography.

--Chris