[sword-devel] TEI formatting, duplicated key (BDB Glosses)

Daniel Owens dhowens at pmbx.net
Mon Apr 30 06:37:45 MST 2012

On 04/30/2012 06:54 AM, Chris Little wrote:
> On 4/30/2012 4:39 AM, David Troidl wrote:
>> Hi Chris,
>>
>> I'm certainly no expert on your TEI dictionaries, but wouldn't it make
>> sense to have the first key be one that would sort properly, and present
>> the dictionary in true alphabetical order? I'm thinking of Middle
>> Liddell, as well as the Hebrew. This key wouldn't even necessarily have
>> to be shown to the user. The second key, the title, could then maintain
>> the proper accents for display, without hindering sorting, searching or
>> navigation.
>
> I confess, I don't understand what you're proposing this as an
> alternative to.
>
> In the example Karl cites, there's just one actual key per entry. It
> is an uppercased version of the entryFree's n attribute. This is the
> key that is sorted.
>
> The un-uppercased version from the n attribute is being rendered as
> part of the entry text via the TEI filters. This is the part I'm
> proposing we retain, but render somewhere else, e.g. right-justified
> at the bottom of the entry.
>
> We also render all the text of the entry, which in these cases
> includes the text from a title element.
>
> I don't know what 'true alphabetical order' means, but if you mean
> localized sort order, it's not possible with the current
> implementation of this module type.
>
> --Chris

I think David's concern is something that needs to be dealt with. A
number of possibilities could be pursued, some of them together:

     1. The current implementation is to sort by unicode code points.
This works particularly well with numeric keys. A quick solution for
languages for which such sorting is not alphabetical would be to follow
David's suggestion of using keys that the user does not even see. This
has the advantage of providing a workable solution right away, but there
are some problems with this. First, we could create a new "strongs"
standard because the current implementation does not actually hide keys.
That could be solved by making the keys so obscure that no one would
remember them. Second, any future, more robust solution would require
reworking all modules keyed to it. I have toyed with this solution, and
it might be the pragmatic way forward, but it is not ideal.

     2. A localized sort order, which I think this is what David means
by true alphabetical order, would be a better long-term solution.

     3. In addition, using genbooks for lexica would work for lexica
that are sorted by root, with subentries nested in a hierarchy, just
like in the Hesychius module and BDB. I have been working with Troy on
this. Unfortunately, front-ends do not recognize the Feature=HebrewDef
option in the conf file and allow genbooks as lexica. I can send anyone
an example lexicon if you are interested in working on this. In that
case, instead of @n as the key, */x-entry/@osisID would be the key.

Any thoughts?

Daniel