[sword-devel] Native Client - NaCL and Pepper

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Fri Apr 20 08:15:26 MST 2012

On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 9:15 AM, Troy A. Griffitts <scribe at crosswire.org> wrote:
> Hi Stephan,
>
> I believe I downloaded the development kit a while back, but never pursued
> it farther. Greg Hellings had a helpful comment in an HTML5/Javascript
> thread back at the end of March:
>
> http://www.crosswire.org/pipermail/sword-devel/2012-March/037542.html
>
> Here, he notes that data storage is typically limited to 5MB per unique
> site.  This would be a problem for such an implementation.  Per Google,
> Pepper has access to the same datastore as Javascript.  Not sure if that
> means that it has the same size limits or not.

My understanding of NaCl  is that it lacks this limitation. Such a
wrapping of the SWORD library would permit it direct file system
access and one of the warnings I've read is that you not permit your
library or NaCl application to clog up a user's hard drive. Also that
users be wary of what they install because the NaCl runs entirely
outside of Chrome's sandbox and can access arbitrary data on the hard
drive. That is, assuming you're talking about an NaCl Chrome plugin
rather than an NaCl application run off a web page. If you're running
it off a web page (if that's even possible?) then I have no knowledge
of how that works.

I had begun work on a pure-JavaScript Bible display application. But
when it got to the point of deciding whether to store all my data in
JavaScript (using WebDB/IndexDB) or wrap SWORD into an NaCl plugin I
stalled. I would prefer the data be native in the JavaScript access
using IndexDB (key-value store) or WebDB (SQLite) but wrapping SWORD
would give access to its SWKey parsing and locales and would obviate
the need to implement a different storage mechanism. (Storage space
for a Chrome plugin is not limited to the 5MB if the plugin requests
the unlimited space permission, so that wasn't an issue like it would
be for a website).

--Greg