[sword-devel] Difficult Greek question

fred smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Sat Sep 17 09:55:13 MST 2011

On Sat, Sep 17, 2011 at 08:55:19AM -0400, Karl Kleinpaste wrote:
> Martin Denham <mjdenham at gmail.com> writes:
> > The user has suggested another possible OCR error.  The error report makes
> > sense but the Sword Strongs module appears to contain the same as other
> > Strongs I have checked on the internet.  Here is the users's report:
>
> > 3532 Nikolaos nik-ol'-ah-os from 3534 and *2994*; victorious over the
> > people; Nicolaus, a heretic:--Nicolaus. see GREEK for 3534 see GREEK for
> > *2994*
>
> > *The reference 2994 should read 2992*
>
> OK, here's a fun conflict for us all.
>
> My print Strong's actually shows that 3532 refs 3534 and 2994.  So that
> module, as well as my StrongsRealGreek, are true to print Strong's.
>
> On the other hand, NAS Greek Lexicon shows refs 3534 and 2992.
>
> I have to suggest that real Strong's has an actual misprint error, and
> that NAS has corrected this.  2992 seems clearly correct here.
>
> What should be done with this?  Remain true to what originally appeared
> in Strong's or correct it per NAS?  Perhaps correct it with a notation
> of the original error?
>
> I hardly know what to do with the difference in definitional commentary.
>
> Strong's:
>     "Nicolaus, a heretic"
> NAS:
>     "Nicolaus, a Christian, probably not connected with the sect
>     bearing the same name"

I forwarded this to my pastor, who is a recent seminary graduate, and
who is good enough at Greek that he was formally tutoring other seminary
students while he was still a student.

FWIW, here's his reply:

	I guess I don't understand the question. I think whoever pointed
	out that error is correct, since the second part of the name
	"Nikolaos" corresponds to two root words, the latter of which is
	"laos", NOT "Laodikeos", as the number apparently indicates.
	It seems like a typographic error - the wrong reference number
	used for the concordance.  OR, as someone seemed to have already
	pointed out, it's possible they were looking up the reference
	#'s in the wrong edition of the concordance.

                    The Lord detests the way of the wicked