[sword-devel] XML attribute delimiters in OSIS files?

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Sat Oct 15 16:11:04 MST 2011

On 10/15/2011 4:36 AM, David Haslam wrote:
> We describe and normally expect that all XML attributes are to be delimited
> by "quotation marks".
>
> Am I correct in thinking that XML attributes delimited by 'apostrophes'
> would not be parsed correctly by osis2mod?  i.e. Such attributes would be
> ignored rather than processed.

I would guess that our converters only look for double quoted attribute
values. However, using single quotes (apostrophes) is perfectly valid
for XML. I'm not sure whether mixed use of single & double quotes in a
single document is valid or not. It might fall in the category of valid,
but poor style.

> Background: I just observed that some of the OSIS files hosted by *Myanmar
> Bibles* have attributes delimited by apostrophes.
>
> These files were "converted from TEX into OSIS by bibleTec2osis.pl " - so I
> thereby conclude that the Perl script that was used by the Society contains
> a significant software bug.

I would not call that a bug on their part. You could say that our
importers have bugs, but I would recommend conforming the import
document to our expectations rather than meddling with osis2mod. It's a
minor issue, and trivial to fix in the source docs. One caveat: use of
single quotes to indicate attribute values permits use of double quotes
within the values, so those double quotes need to be escaped before the
value delimiters are changed to double quotes.

--Chris