[sword-devel] OSIS milestones and the attribute n ?

David Haslam dfhmch at googlemail.com
Sat Nov 12 07:44:26 MST 2011

Hi DM,

You wrote: (numbers are mine)

1. Not really, but effectively. The verse begin and end tags, regular and
milestoned, with all of its attributes are thrown away. The purpose of the n
attribute is to provide what the verse number should be.

2. Do you see a value in osis2mod reading/using the value? I'm not sure how
osis2mod might use it to better build a module.

My detailed response:

1. Precisely!  Our front-end applications do not display verse range tags.
Is this because (a) the n attribute has been effectively discarded during
module build, and/or (b) because currently the SWORD engine does not provide
a means to supply these to the front-end?

2. Whereas we might have engineered verse range tags from the original
sID/eID attributes (if present & correct), the fact is that these are
transformed by osis2mod to genX, where X is an integer. This makes such
reverse engineering for existing modules impossible.

If we wish to represent printed Bibles as faithfully and as accurately as we
can, then verse range tags should be something supported by the SWORD API
and the JSword API.  Otherwise, when one or more verse number has been
omitted, how is the reader supposed to know whether (a) it's a case of
linked verse text for a verse range, or (b) whether the verse is one of
those commonly omitted in many modern translations, or (c) whether the
source text was deficient by having accidental omissions?

For (b) refer to
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Bible_verses_not_included_in_modern_translations

In essence, I see an opportunity for a significant software improvement
here.

David