[sword-devel] BREW Development?

Nic Carter niccarter at mac.com
Thu Jun 16 19:49:25 MST 2011

My understanding of GPL (other than my general dislike for it) is that it is fine with iOS development as it stands.  Originally you weren't allowed to share ANY code you had written for iOS, as part of the insane NDA that you needed to agree with in order to get the iOS APIs, but that has all passed, and Apple encourages sharing of code so they get more developers and more apps and more ppl buying their devices (they _do_ like making money, it appears!)...  ;)

So, PocketSword is GPL'd, the source is available for download, and the GPL licence is installed on each user's device when they install PS from the app store.  True, if they want to compile it themselves and install it on their own device, that's a little bit of a hassle, but they _can_.  :)

If anyone can see any issues or flaws in the above, please let me know, cause I'd rather PS was doing the right thing.  I believe the FSF has said iOS development and OSS can mix, so that's all good AFAIK...  In fact, I know of an app (Colloquy) which is OSS on both the Mac & iOS, but if you get it from the iOS App Store, they charge 99c or something.  I chose to download the src and compile and install myself, which meant it was "free"...  It may be their way of trying to recover some of the fees that Apple charge to be able to be a developer on the App Store ($99 per year, which is actually why PocketSword is available on the App Store under my name, rather than CrossWire Bible Society, cause I just used my account, rather than pay an additional $99 per year for a CrossWire account!)...

Ummm, so, yes, if you can point out how the distribution model of an app affects how it is GPL compatible, I'd be very interested in hearing it.  :)

Thanks, ybic
	nic...  :)

----
Nic Carter
PocketSword Developer - an iPhone Bible Study app
www: http://crosswire.org/pocketsword
iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/app/Pocketsword/id341046078
Twitter: http://twitter.com/pocketsword