[sword-devel] Chromium OS and CrossWire?

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 13:23:30 MST 2011

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 2:07 PM, Chris Burrell <chris at burrell.me.uk> wrote:
> Interesting question. The online version of STEP will function on Chromium
> OS since it's a web app based. The server side is based on JSword, so if
> they one day bring in Java we're alright - if not, then we might eventually
> move some functionality to use HTML5 but given a lot of the world doesn't
> yet support HTML5 without a browser upgrade that might be a little way off.

I haven't read much about Chromium OS for the past 6 or 8 weeks, but I
thought it shipped with Chrome/Chromium as its browser, no?  At least,
that's the assumption I had been running on.

While I haven't thought about Chromium OS itself from this perspective
(I'm unlikely to use it as anything more than a "Hey, let me just see
how it works for a day" activity) I have been growing a
pure-JavaScript Bible plugin for the Chrome browser.  First step is
teaching it to fetch a Bible - this part is about 80% grown.  Second
is storage, display and retrieval of a Bible - this part is well
planned based on some past work by members of the BibleTime team and
the data structures (SQL, most likely, though IndexedDB might win out
for the portability) are in place, only awaiting the functionality.
Obviously branching out from there to additional support for more
types of works, bigger UIs and the like will all come as time
dictates.  I have been doing this because Chrome is one of about 5
programs I regularly use on my computer and it would just be so much
easier to access the Bible and searching it from the Omnibox than
trying to remember I have a whole application installed for that
purpose.

How any of that ties in to Chromium OS, people who know more about the
OS will have to tell me.

As a side note - if I thought I knew a lot about Chrome and JavaScript
before, trying to develop a full-fledged app in it has taught me more
than I probably ever wanted to know!

--Greg