[sword-devel] [Pkg-crosswire-devel] Packagers Take Note

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 13:06:03 MST 2011

On Fri, Dec 9, 2011 at 1:49 PM, Dmitrijs Ledkovs
<dmitrij.ledkov at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> On 2 November 2011 15:06, Greg Hellings <greg.hellings at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I don't know all the appropriate emails for SWORD packagers, but
>> figured this is as good a place as any to put out this notice.
>>
>> SWORD SVN contains a few commits which should be interesting from the
>> point of view of packagers for Linux distributions. While the current
>> SVN is not directly compatible with the latest release of SWORD
>> (1.6.2), interested parties should take note of commits 2661, 2662 and
>> 2665 when packaging. These commits introduce compatibility with
>> CLucene version 2.x while maintaining backwards compatibility with
>> version 0.9x.  Additionally, commit 2665 fixes a major bug in the
>> CMake build chain. Versions of the library without commit 2665 which
>> are built with CMake will detect CLucene during configure but will not
>> build against it, leaving the library with limited search
>> capabilities.
>>

> Although the patches are good, they do no apply to 1.6.2 cleanly.
>
> They depend on other commits (changes to cmake, addition of util functions)
> On top of that they introduce more gcc-4.6 warnings which make it
> failt to build from source.
> I've looked at it for a little, but it's too much work for now for me.

r2665 should apply cleanly, I thought. Or, at least, proper building
against CLucene 0.9x only relies on the line in that commit
ADD_DEFINITIONS(-DUSELUCENE).

You won't gain CLucene2 compatibility with it.

Also - you should fix Debian, because it builds great outside of
Debian's whatever-in-the-world business. ;)

> Clean patch series against 1.6.2 would be highly appreciated (I know
> I'm asking too much, but hey it's christmas soon ;-) )
> Or for example 1.6.3 release ;-)

A 1.6.3 release would be very difficult as current SVN head contains
many things which are not bug fixes and which break compatibility and
really should constitute a 1.7. Troy isn't against someone doing a
1.6.3 release, but that person would need to sift through the
1.6.2..HEAD commits and cherry pick the bug-fix-only ones.

--Greg