[sword-devel] Strong's Numbers assignment

DM Smith dmsmith at crosswire.org
Wed Aug 31 04:43:08 MST 2011

On Aug 31, 2011, at 5:37 AM, Konstantin Maslyuk wrote:

> Hi, all.
>
> Is  there  any  king  of  guidelines  or  manual  on  Strong's numbers
> assignment on text?

In OSIS they should surround the text to which they pertain. In other markup, they are placed after the word or phrase.

> Or can someone just tell me what to do with strong numbers that are in
> original  text but was omitted in target text. Can i also omit them or
> i  should  add  those strongs on any most appropriate word, if omitted
> word is sentence beginning/ending can i also just put strong number on
> sentence beginning/ending not taking into account to word meaning?

You can omit them, but then a strong's number search won't find the verse.

Or put them at the end. It'd be good if front ends did not display them in verses when they weren't associated with a word. But since they don't, I wouldn't put them at the beginning. But add them in the order that they occurred in the original Greek.

But is is best to mark the proper word.

In Him,
	DM