[sword-devel] CrossWire lacks a Content Management System

Troy A. Griffitts scribe at crosswire.org
Mon Nov 8 07:54:16 MST 2010

Sure I agree our website needs updating, but a CMS doesn't magically
update and bring accord to our website.

We have had a long and notorious history of complaint about our website.
 Someone goes off and reorganizes it the way they think it should be
(about once every 5 years or so) and then we still get complaints.

How our website does it's job to easily direct any number of our
disparate visitors (end users, module makers, API programmers, frontend
programmers, publisher-- all with various purposes on various platforms)
to their appropriate destination is a highly complex task with very
opinionated approaches (check the logs).

A CMS will not solve this problem for us.

Project maintainers have access to update their webpages.  Whether they
do or not is a different matter and one that a CMS will not fix.

Having said this, it's been at least a couple years since the last
frustrated volunteer took a shot at reorganizing our website.

Remember, crosswire.org is meant to be a basic outward facing front to
what we do.  If people want to dig in, then they'll need to get to our
wiki or api documentation, sword-devel, etc.

Troy