[sword-devel] CrossWire lacks a Content Management System

Caleb Maclennan caleb at alerque.com
Mon Nov 8 02:17:09 MST 2010

Troy and Chris et all,

I cannot speak for what David felt as the exact problem, but I can
tell you why I jumped in with a comment. Troy it's hard to come up
with a specific example because the problem might be best described as
general discombobulation. The main crosswire site and the sword sub
site are both navigational catastrophes. This happens over time as
people come and go and projects eb and flow. I know how it is. The top
level layout has lost focus and usefulness to newcomers and content
has stagnated.

Chris you mention the issue of balancing devel news / nightly snapshot
type updates and releases that the public aught to be informed about.
I realize this is an issue, but it was pointed out just last week on
this list that the information for diatake on the site is some ten
years old and there is no indication that it has actually been
maintained to this day. Surely that's erring on the side of not enough
up to date information.

Also it was pointed on on another thread that there is a crosswire
wiki. Even new module developers seem to miss that this exists. I
looked and didn't see any reference to it on the crosswire home page.
Furthermore a quick glace at each area shows massive duplication of
content between the main site and the wiki, usually with the scales
tipping to the wiki for being up to date. A little more poking shows
even further duplication and even older content on the sword specific
sub-site.

Troy you mention the word involved in "committing to the maintenance
of another framework". From the outside it looks like there are
already at least a trio if not half a dozen frameworks that don't
interact and are in various states of disrepair. I chimmed in on this
thread because it sounded like David was suggesting getting all of the
above under one heading so there is only one framework that actually
CAN be reasonably maintained.

Further thoughts?

Caleb