[sword-devel] Making Latvian full Bible module. Confused about versification.

Jānis Veinbergs janis.veinbergs at vv.lv
Mon Jan 25 08:01:36 MST 2010

Hello.

I`m currently making Latvian Bible Module (Old & New Testament) with
text, that is most commonly used (making for personal use, because of
copyright stuff, but emailed to Latvian Bible Society and hoping that
they will allow to publish this module on crosswire). Currently, that
Latvian version which is on crosswire repository is only NT and not
commonly used.

Problem arises with versification.

Tried imp2mod tool providing different versifications (KJV, German,
Luther etc.) hoping that Latvian text has that type of versification but
failed.

Googling leads to wiki page
<http://www.crosswire.org/wiki/Alternate_Versification> that explains
possible ways to map verses, for example, to KJV:

   1. way: Create canon header
      </wiki/Alternate_Versification/Canon_Definition_Format> file
      (however article states that "we will not hard code every
      versification under the sun but only select and important ones".
   2. way: Article reads "If your scheme is not one of those you will
      need to go down the route of a GenBook Bible". Ok, I like this
      way! That means i have to prepare my source text in OSIS format.
      There is even some example on how to define reference system
      <http://www.ccel.org/refsys/refsys.html>.

However, reading OSIS
<http://img.forministry.com/7/7B/7BB51FB8-84B3-4FF3-939ED473FA90A632/DOC/OSIS2_1UserManual_06March2006_-_with_O%27Donnell_edits.PDF>
User manual, I don't find a tag like /refMap/ i did in tutorial on how
to define reference system <http://www.ccel.org/refsys/refsys.html>. Nor
i don't find a way on how to create versification in crosswire wiki
about OSIS GenBook format..
<http://www.crosswire.org/wiki/OSIS_Genbooks>. :(

So how do i link those both together so SWORD frontends get familiar
with Latvian Bible text? Do i need to create a seperate file to define
reference system for my Bible.Latvian.1997 ? And what do I do with that
seperate file?

Could you please explain me what do I have to prepare and do to create
my versification?

Thank you.