[sword-devel] OSIS variants

Daniel Owens dhowens at pmbx.net
Fri Jan 8 11:18:28 MST 2010

On 1/8/2010 11:22 AM, Matthew Talbert wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 11:32 PM, Daniel Owens<dhowens at pmbx.net>  wrote:
>
>> Okay, I think I understand better. I think the main concern with keeping a
>> variant as a toggled option is that it be searchable and able to be queried
>> for lemma and morphology. As long as that can happen in a note, I'm happy
>> with keeping it there. I think it makes sense that way, but I can see the
>> other side of it. I think the engine should support both variants in notes
>> and as an option to toggle.
>>
> I'm not sure I understand all the issues involved here, but is it
> really possible right now to do searching in footnotes for lemmas and
> morphology? At the very least, it would definitely require changes in
> Xiphos to accomplish this, no doubt adding to our already quite
> confusing search interface. Right now, it seems that we can do
> attribute search for either footnotes, strong's numbers, or
> morphology; I believe (but could be wrong) that this directly maps to
> the engine's functionality. I'm not sure how we would search in the
> footnotes for morphology. (not to mention, that in a module like this,
> you would probably want to search both the main text *and* the
> footnotes at the same time; this would take 2 searches, wouldn't it?)
>
> It would seem keeping them in the main text would be better if these
> concerns are correct.
>
> Matthew

I don't think it is possible at this point, but the K/Q variants should
be searchable, in my opinion. That's why it is a concern. I would think,
though, that from a front-end perspective a simple option to include
variants or footnotes could be added. After all, the notes are with the
main text in the module. They are just displayed differently in the
front-end, right? This could be revealing my ignorance, of course. If it
is, then putting them in the main text makes sense.

Daniel