[sword-devel] Open Collaborative Bible Translation(was RE: Open Japanese Collaborative Bible Translation)

Trevor Jenkins trevor.jenkins at suneidesis.com
Sat Apr 10 05:50:27 MST 2010

On Sat, 10 Apr 2010, David Haslam <d.haslam at ukonline.co.uk> wrote:

Discussion of Bible translations are probably better conducted on a
mailing list devoted to that topic.

> Yet reason (a) is often misunderstood. The KJV was written in "Biblical
> English", in which pronouns such as Thou, Thee, and the related verb
> conjugations and adjectives were already out of common usage in 1611, except
> in some English counties (e.g. Yorkshire).

But being on one such list I can't resist the temptation to comment on
this here. While that form of address was used in England in the early
17th century the wordings of the KJV reflect an even older version of the
language from more than a century before that and which William Tyndale
thought was good usage. Sadly we've been saddle with this thing called
"Biblical English" ever since.

Regards, Trevor

<>< Re: deemed!