[sword-devel] Devanagari text displays different in SWORD than in the source IMP file

David Haslam d.haslam at ukonline.co.uk
Mon Sep 7 00:28:17 MST 2009

Or rather the front end rendering engine...

Tim wrote me as follows,

Take a real close look at the first word on Mark 1:1 and you’ll see that the
text is rendered differently on BPBible than on both Bible Desktop and
Alkitab Bible.  The correct rendering is from BPBible.   When you see the
hylanta below the word, that is a good indicator that the word is being
rendered incorrectly – though not in all cases.  I didn’t catch this when I
first did the module creation.  I took the demo over to the Nepal Bible
Society and they immediately noticed that words with half letters were not
displaying correctly.

According to Peter von Kaehne, developers of these Bible front ends have a
choice over what rendering engine they are going to use.  Apparently some
are better at rendering complex scripts than others.

-- David