[sword-devel] autotools help (needs zlib-devel RPM package)

Jonathan Marsden jmarsden at fastmail.fm
Tue Sep 1 18:20:46 MST 2009

Matthew Talbert wrote:

> There is someone on the forum asking for help with compiling sword. ...

> Could someone who understands autotools look at this and give some
> advice? The thread is here
> http://www.crosswire.org/forums/mvnforum/viewthread_thread,725

The forums seem to have gone down while I was trying to compose my
response!  Here it is, in case you can pass it on to the person with the
iszsue before the forums are resurrected.

Jonathan

As I think was mentioned earlier in this thread, you almost certainly
need the zlib-devel RPM package installed in order to build SWORD from
sources.  So please try:

[code]
sudo yum install zlib-devel  # Install zlib-devel package
./usrinst.sh  # Configure SWORD build environment
make  # Build SWORD
[/code]

and see if that gets you any further along.

Note that building SWORD using ./configure with no options supplied is
probably not what you really want to do; please let the included
usrinst.sh script do the work of choosing good defaults for you.
Incidentally, did you read the INSTALL file, which has info on how to
build SWORD in it?

One day I might look at creating SWORD RPMs, I currently am involved in
creating SWORD .deb packages for Debian and Ubuntu :)

Jonathan