[sword-devel] BibleCS 1.5.99

DM Smith dmsmith at crosswire.org
Wed Oct 7 07:09:11 MST 2009

On Oct 6, 2009, at 8:11 AM, Troy A. Griffitts wrote:

> Well, not sure if I made all the progress I wanted over the weekend
> with BibleCS, but I'll post what I have.
>
> http://www.crosswire.org/sword/ALPHAcckswwlkrfre22034820285912/alpha/BibleCS-1.5.99.zip
> (just unzip the 2 files into an existing BibleCS full installation,
> overwriting)
>
> Fixed the most obvious outstanding bugs and things appear to work on
> a cursory level, but would love the feedback.
How about Personal Commentary. I noticed that there is a problem in
1.5.9, 1.5.11 and still in 1.5.99.

I went to John 1:1 and edited it, with text:
	just a test
I did not add any styling.

When I save and close, I see:
{ \viewkind4\uc1\pard\nowidctlpar\cf7\lang1033\f1\fs20 just a test
\cf7\f1\par }

Opening the editor again, I get the rendered text.

The conf for the module states:
[Personal]
DataPath=./modules/comments/rawfiles/personal/
ModDrv=RawFiles
Description=Personal Commentary
About=This module allows you to store your own commentary.
LCSH=Bible--Commentaries.
SwordVersionDate=2002-01-01

If this is the case, the type of the file is PlainText, which does not
allow for any kind of styling. So it makes sense that I see the RTF
codes as PlainText.

IIRC, it used to be of type ThML. In this case, my guess is that
BibleCS would render the RTF. Actually, I bet that GBF, TEI and OSIS
would also render it too.

Anyway, RTF is not ThML, GBF, TEI or OSIS. Unless BibleCS's Personal
Commentary editor writes valid markup for the declared type of module,
there is no hope of using a Personal Commentary created in BibleCS in
Xiphos. (Or any of the other front-ends that support Personal
Commentary on Windows.)

I noticed this because we are adding Personal Commentary support to
JSword. I'm thinking that we will have to have special code to ignore
"personal.conf" and have our own. But I really don't like that.

In Him,
	DM