[sword-devel] compiling on Windows

Matthew Talbert ransom1982 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 3 07:28:26 MST 2009

> I am not a programmer ( I'm a wanna be) but have access to MS Visual Studio
> 6, 2005 & 2008, so options 1 and 3 would be the most beneficial for me.  I
> think having all of these options documented on the wiki as David Haslam has
> suggested would be valuable.

Feel free to put this on the wiki :)

3 is not possible with MS Visual Studio. I don't even know what it
involves except a Borland Compiler.

For 1, follow these steps:

1. Download http://www.crosswire.org/ftpmirror/pub/sword/source/v1.6/sword-1.6.0.tar.gz
2. Unpack it somewhere with something like 7zip
3. With Visual Studio 2008, open sword-1.6.0/lib/vcppmake/vc8/libsword.proj
4. Compile.
5. Open sword-1.6.0/utilities/vcppmake/utilities.sln
6. Compile.

I do not know much about compiling with ICU and/or clucene with Visual
Studio. Someone else will have to provide that part of the
instructions.

Matthew