[sword-devel] compiling on Windows

Dan Blake danblake at tcdr.com
Sat Oct 3 07:18:31 MST 2009

Matthew Talbert wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 10:42 PM, Gerald Zimmerman <cyberkotic at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> I have an additional request. Windows, as delivered, makes everything easy for "frontenders" but ignores any thirst  for the knowledge of compiling. I suspect that any of us Windows users could use the most recent Sword upgrades if we knew how to compile. Could someone provide instructions and/or links to tutorials for the very elementary basics of compiling, especially on Windows? Thanks!
>>

> Are you wanting:
>
> 1. Instructions for compiling the SWORD library and utilities with
> Visual Studio (Microsoft compiler, free to download)?
> 2. Instructions for compiling the SWORD library and utilities with
> open source compilers (see
> http://crosswire.org/~jmarsden/setup-mingw.html)
> 3. Instructions for compiling the SWORD frontend BibleCS (aka, The
> SWORD Project for Windows)?
>
> 1 is easily handled, 2 is probably best served by the link provided.
> I've never seen real instructions for 3, nor do I think it is any
> longer possible to do this with free tools (free as in free download,
> it was never possible to do it with open source tools, afaik).
>
> Please note that there seems to be a great deal of confusion between
> 'SWORD' the library, and 'The SWORD Project for Windows', the
> frontend. 'SWORD', the library, is already available in the latest
> version (1.6.0) both in the utilities Chris pointed to earlier, and as
> a dll + utilities packaged with Xiphos for Windows
> (http://xiphos.org). What many people seem to be after is 'The SWORD
> Project for Windows' rather than the library. In some of the last
> discussions, SWORD was being used for both the library and the
> frontend.
>
> Matthew
I am not a programmer ( I'm a wanna be) but have access to MS Visual
Studio 6, 2005 & 2008, so options 1 and 3 would be the most beneficial
for me.  I think having all of these options documented on the wiki as
David Haslam has suggested would be valuable.

Here is a hearty thank you to all you developers involved in the SWORD
project,as well as all side projects.

Daniel Blake