[sword-devel] OSIS feature support and questions

Brian J. Dumont bdumont at ameritech.net
Fri Oct 2 05:40:28 MST 2009

Jonathan Morgan wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 2:19 AM, Brian J. Dumont <bdumont at ameritech.net> wrote:
>
>> Additionally, I have a question about <a> tags.  I'd like to put down
>> markers for other modules to later link to.  Is it true that OSIS <a> tags
>> only support "href" and not "name" attributes?  Maybe this should be done
>> with an <index> tag instead?
>>

> I would have thought that you would indicate these with sections (from
> memory <div type="section">).  Are you likely to have markers for
> things that are not traditional sections?  If you have references from
> other modules, I would have thought it would be to something like
> Genesis 3:1-5, section 2, and giving each of your sections a unique ID
> would probably allow them to be linked to.
>
> Jon

Yes, I was hoping to have a finer-grain linking than that.  The print
edition itself pretty clearly sets out the natural sections to present
together.  Most are reasonably sized, but some of the discussions are
fairly lengthy (many pages printed).  I would hope to be able to link
into the middle of it.

Similarly, references are frequently made to specific page numbers of
other works.  I'd really want the ability to link to another commentary
that way.  Of course, I guess that could theoretically use the
<milestone> tag.

If this is just plain not possible, then I'll move on.  When all is said
and done, I'm trying to plan ahead.  This commentary references many of
the other works in the SWORD library (Josephus, Clarke, and others), but
I currently can't link to them using most SWORD programs.  I hope to see
that sorted out someday, and preparing ahead would make the addition of
these features more immediately gratifying to developers.

Brian