[sword-devel] Bibles without paragraphing

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Fri Nov 6 20:05:39 MST 2009

We have many many Bibles that lack any kind of paragraphing markup.
These will tend to be rendered as a single big block of text per
chapter, which is rather ugly.

Some front ends offer a verse-per-line option where every verse gets its
  own newline, regardless of whether the Bible has paragraphing. I think
this is a good option for the case of non-paragraphed Bibles but
undesirable for those that do have paragraph indication.

I would like to propose that we add a new Feature to .confs (e.g.
Feature=Paragraphs). If the feature is absent, a front end can know that
it should output newlines at the end of each verse.

Alternately, we could tag unparagraphed Bibles with
Feature=NoParagraphs. There will be many more Bibles that need to be
checked, updated, and re-downloaded by users. But if a user fails to
update his content, in this case there wouldn't be the incorrect
behavior of rendering paragraphed Bibles as verse-per-line.

A third alternative (probably less attractive now that we're releasing
quite a few non-KJV v11n Bibles) is to do one of the above and then
offer static paragraphing like OLB does. OLB starts new paragraphs at
set verses, regardless of the Bible. We could grab the paragraph data
from the KJV, for example, and then insert paragraph marks in the render
filters.

I think my preference is to add Feature=Paragraphs and just do
verse-per-line in the absence of that feature. Thoughts?

--Chris