[sword-devel] sword-devel Digest, Vol 63, Issue 9

Steve DeRose sderose at speakeasy.net
Wed Jun 10 08:05:16 MST 2009

The prior poster is correct that <divineName> is only for the tetragrammaton
(indeed, in an early draft I think it was named <tetra>). I don't think I
actually check that in my OSIS validator, but it could be checked easily
enough. "nonhuman" was provided as a cover for any named non-humans,
thinking mainly of spiritual beings of all kinds (though I suppose if there
are any named animals around, they would be "nonhuman" too). "person" could
of course also apply to any personal spiritual beings (I can't think of any
non-personal ones, unless you were tagging a commentary that mentioned
pantheism for contrast or something; but I don't think that's what we had in
mind. Perhaps it would be better to have called "person" simply "human",
thus making an obvious dichotomy.

DM, could you say more about your thought that

> IMHO, theologically, a single value classification is not quite
>appropriate for God, Jesus or the Holy Spirit.

Jesus is of course difficult to categorize; about the only solutions I can
think of there are to assign 2 categories, or to define a special category
of which He is the only member. But "God is a spirit" (Jn.4.24), and
obviously the Holy *Spirit* is too. I can't think of many who would claim
the Father and the Spirit are also human. So although they are infinitely
unique and important spirits, they do fit the category "spirit" and the
category "nonhuman", right? Every being fits in an infinite number of
categories; the question is which specific categories are useful for a
particular purpose. I can think of applications where specifically
identifying every mention of any member of the Trinity would be useful.

If there's need for a more precise set of types, they can certainly be added
either as "x-" customizations, or in a future release of OSIS, or as a "best
practice" documented elsewhere. If people are interested in developing a
more detailed set, I'd welcome such discussion. A variety of "upper
ontologies" such as CyC and SUMO provide much more detailed breakdowns of
kinds of names and beings that might be helpful.

Steve DeRose
BTG chair

Message: 6