[sword-devel] Often-requested yet never-available Bibles

Karl Kleinpaste karl at kleinpaste.org
Fri Jul 24 13:57:28 MST 2009

Ryan <adyeths at gmail.com> writes:
> Earlier this year I contacted IBS and they told me "Our policy at this
> time does not allow us to release the NIV database to individuals or for
> use in Linux based, open source or shareware software products;
> therefore IBS-STL will not be granting your request for use of the NIV."

Gee, it must be nice to know that they would actually recognize your
corporeal existence.

The prejudice as to computer environments is nauseating.  I'd say from
that text that they probably suffer from the delusion of Linux as "a
hacker's system" and that "open source" equates in their minds to
"unable to secure the text," yet they've had NIV/NIrV/TNIV available for
eSword for years which, until 60 days ago, had the crappiest excuse for
anti-security the computer world has ever seen.