[sword-devel] Greek dictionary - input needed

Peter von Kaehne refdoc at gmx.net
Wed Jan 21 12:05:53 MST 2009

Matthew Talbert wrote:
> My bias against ICU is that I have never been able to successfully
> compile against it, either on Windows or Linux. That has been quite a
> while ago, so I should try again. Also, I believe for a while, ICU
> wasn't included in many distros (this is just based off of comments
> I've seen), but now it is at least for Ubuntu.

I think the main problem is that a lot of ICU utilities are not actually
in the Ubuntu package.

Or at least they were not when I last time looked. Some were bizarrely
in libicu-dev.

Compiling ICU directly from IBM's source was an extremely clean job when
I did it a year or so ago. Never had so little difficulty compiling
anything. But the difference is marked between that and teh run of teh
mill Ubuntu package. I am not sure if this affects something, but bear
it in mind.

Another related matter - if size matters, I think it is relatively
straight forward to cut out irrelevant aspects from ICU. I have seen a
couple of articles on that.

Peter