[sword-devel] Greek dictionary - input needed

Matthew Talbert ransom1982 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 11:49:16 MST 2009

> glib appears to have a good selection of basic Unicode handling functions.
> However, I don't see any reference made to UCA or CLDR. I'm sure they're
> implementing the normalization algorithms correctly, but if they aren't
> specifically using UCA and CLDR for collation, collation won't be identical
> between glib and ICU. We really can't have some segment of Sword
> implementers using ICU for collation and another segment using glib if the
> two don't give the same results. (UCA is also notoriously difficult to
> implement, so it's probably worthwhile to contain ourselves to a single
> implementation if at all possible in order to eliminate problems stemming
> from differing interpretations of the algorithm.)
>
> Another part of CLDR (which actually came from ICU's data) is a multitude of
> date & time formats, calendars, and language names, all translated into
> dozens of languages. Transliteration tables, another element of CLDR, are
> likewise not mentioned in the cited glib doc.
>
> ICU also has a significantly more advanced regex implementation than we use
> currently in Sword, which would be a nice improvement. And its
> implementation of the Bidi algorithm may help us solve some of the issues we
> have regarding rendering of bidi languages like Hebrew, Arabic, Farsi, &
> Syriac.
>
> The ICU home page has a quick summary of its features and a list of many
>  products and organizations that use ICU: http://icu-project.org/.
>
> --Chris

Thanks for the info. It appears there was an initiative at one point
to integrate CLDR into some sort of GNOME lib, but that has apparently
stalled.

My bias against ICU is that I have never been able to successfully
compile against it, either on Windows or Linux. That has been quite a
while ago, so I should try again. Also, I believe for a while, ICU
wasn't included in many distros (this is just based off of comments
I've seen), but now it is at least for Ubuntu.

Matthew