[sword-devel] Getting rid of BibleCS

Manfred Bergmann bergmannmd at web.de
Thu Feb 26 08:43:25 MST 2009

Am 26.02.2009 um 14:59 schrieb Eeli Kaikkonen:

> Quoting Karl Kleinpaste <karl at kleinpaste.org>:
>
>> Eeli Kaikkonen <eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi> writes:
>>> But if you allow me to go back to BibleTime - ...  At the moment
>>> we have less manpower than Xiphos have had for some time
>>
>> To me, that's an extraordinary and peculiar claim, considering the
>> dearth of contributors (at least in SVN commits, other than in
>> interface
>> translation and i18n-specific matters) until November.
>>

> And I meant after November :) You have had many talented and eager
> contributors since then. I guess you (Karl) couldn't have done it by
> yourself. Now BibleTime has been blessed with contributions of Gary
> and Greg, so the situation is much better than some time ago when I
> worked almost alone with help of Martin. But even Greg started a
> serious Windows porting work session only couple of days ago, so I
> dare to say Xiphos have had a bit more manpower recently. Maybe this
> is a subjective feeling - after all, I feel all the time that
> BibleTime development have been too slow and I have have had too
> little time to contribute. Probably everyone here feels that way in
> their own work.

I do.

> What bugs me even more than lack of manpower for BibleTime right now
> is the situation of MacSword. It's very important frontend, but how
> many developers it has? Every Christian who uses Mac and who I know
> has MacSword. It receives maybe most of the support requests in the
> mailing list and forum. Yet it has near to one contributor as far as
> I know - am I correct? I would rather direct new Mac developers to
> MacSword than to BibleTime (except actual porting).

I did all there is alone for the last 3 years (except some help from
Nathan on the Web age). MacSword 2 is almost able to go for beta which
took almost all the time I had to spare for the last 8 months.
Lately I had someone (Hannes) who did some testing and gave good and
valuable feedback on MacSword 2.

I think even though many people have Macs nowadays, very few do
development on it. And then there is Objective-C and Interface Builder
which are languages tools only available to Mac. That makes it more
difficult for people coming to the Mac platform and wanting to
contribute.

> My hope is that the new Windows frontends will gain popularity
> amongst potential developers so that first Xiphos and soon BibleTime
> could help the whole CrossWire community that way.

That'd be great. Even though I did not really use BibleTime nor
GnomeSword/Xiphos I'm looking forward to the new BibleTime version
based on QT4(?).
I think it is also very good that Xiphos is available on Windows now.

Good bless all our efforts.

Manfred