[sword-devel] Getting rid of BibleCS

Eeli Kaikkonen eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi
Thu Feb 26 07:59:51 MST 2009

Quoting Karl Kleinpaste <karl at kleinpaste.org>:

> Eeli Kaikkonen <eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi> writes:
>> But if you allow me to go back to BibleTime - ...  At the moment
>> we have less manpower than Xiphos have had for some time
>
> To me, that's an extraordinary and peculiar claim, considering the
> dearth of contributors (at least in SVN commits, other than in interface
> translation and i18n-specific matters) until November.

And I meant after November :) You have had many talented and eager
contributors since then. I guess you (Karl) couldn't have done it by
yourself. Now BibleTime has been blessed with contributions of Gary
and Greg, so the situation is much better than some time ago when I
worked almost alone with help of Martin. But even Greg started a
serious Windows porting work session only couple of days ago, so I
dare to say Xiphos have had a bit more manpower recently. Maybe this
is a subjective feeling - after all, I feel all the time that
BibleTime development have been too slow and I have have had too
little time to contribute. Probably everyone here feels that way in
their own work.

What bugs me even more than lack of manpower for BibleTime right now
is the situation of MacSword. It's very important frontend, but how
many developers it has? Every Christian who uses Mac and who I know
has MacSword. It receives maybe most of the support requests in the
mailing list and forum. Yet it has near to one contributor as far as I
know - am I correct? I would rather direct new Mac developers to
MacSword than to BibleTime (except actual porting).

My hope is that the new Windows frontends will gain popularity amongst
potential developers so that first Xiphos and soon BibleTime could
help the whole CrossWire community that way.