[sword-devel] Localised language names for third party modules?

DM Smith dmsmith at crosswire.org
Tue Dec 22 06:35:03 MST 2009

Just my opinion:
a) It is a best practice to use the 2 letter code if it is available.
Not a requirement. In the wiki,
http://crosswire.org/wiki/DevTools:confFiles, it says: "ISO 639-1 codes
are the preferred code..."

b) A front-end should handle aliases for the same language.

A front-end can accomplish this by several means:
i) Localize both 2 and 3 letter codes.
ii) Create a map of 2 letter codes to their 3 letter counterparts. (I
think this is the better solution.)

Related, the wiki entry gives that we might see something like
zh-Hant or zh-Hans for traditional or simplified Chinese, respectively.
or
en-GB or en for British English vs American English (Note: SWORD already
uses en for American English.)
Both script and country can be specified, but I can't think of any real
examples where we might see this.

In all cases, the language is first.

I've got some work in JSword to support these observations.

-- DM