[sword-devel] -O3 -g (was: GCC warnings)

Troy A. Griffitts scribe at crosswire.org
Fri Dec 4 21:41:33 MST 2009

Yeah J, you're probably right.  I suppose I might try to justify the
settings in usrinst.sh by saying that these are the normal settings for
"users" needing to build the library (usually developers).  These are
the settings I use daily while I develop (no shared libs, with debug).

But I'm sure you're at least building with shared libs for your release
package, yes?

I guess if you have some mechanism to build both debug and non-debug
libs, then you probably have the answer as to how the -O3 flag is being
set.  I have always thought -g and -O3 to be in conflict-- usually the
resulting code from -O3 is unintelligible while trying to trace through
in gdb, but I guess technically they aren't in conflict.  I wonder if
the optimized code including debug (-g -O3) is just as fast as -O3
without -g...

Troy