[sword-devel] GCC warnings

Jonathan Marsden jmarsden at fastmail.fm
Fri Dec 4 21:20:45 MST 2009

Troy A. Griffitts wrote:

> OK, glad we found that.  I have a question though.  There is a
> significant performance gain for many features of SWORD when
> debugging is turned off (which also turns -O3 on).  When you build
> packages for public consumption, don't you turn debugging off?

I simply use the set of options that upstream (you guys :) recommend for
people building from source, which are those in usrinst.sh.  And that
enables debug by default.  Unless I made a mistake translating the info
in usrinst.sh into debian/rules -- I'll recheck.

I don't see a release.sh or similar "here are the suggested options for
a production release" tool in the tarball, and the INSTALL file
specifically says that the options in usrinst.sh are "what we consider
'normal'".  Is there other documentation somewhere contradicting this?

Having I been doing this "wrong" all along?

I suspect that disabling --enable-debug will make it impractical to
generate the debug library package, and trying to do multiple
./configure runs with different options, one for the "production"
library and one for the debug libs, could be more work than I'd like.
I'll play more with these options...

Jonathan