[sword-devel] Bible-Discovery - non-free program using SWORD modules

DM Smith dmsmith at crosswire.org
Sat Aug 29 07:00:43 MST 2009

On Aug 29, 2009, at 2:33 AM, Jonathan Morgan wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 29, 2009 at 12:59 AM, DM Smith<dmsmith at crosswire.org>
> wrote:
>> On 08/28/2009 09:25 AM, Jonathan Morgan wrote:

>>> I'm not wishing to start another argument about the GPL, but I think
>>> that statement is questionable.
>>
>> The stylesheet is not part of the any jar file under LGPL but only
>> one that
>> is GPL. It is part of BibleDesktop and not part of JSword.
>>
>> IMHO, academic discussions are fruitless.
>
> Obviously I'm not understanding something here.  When you mentioned
> that "JSword is not useful without the stylesheets", I assumed that
> you were positioning the stylesheets as part of JSword, hence my
> comments.  I assumed JSword provided HTML output as Sword does, and so
> a stylesheet would be a necessary part.  Does it only produce OSIS (or
> some equivalent) and then leave the application (BD, Alkitab, etc.) to
> format it by applying the stylesheet?  If not, what is the division of
> responsibility between "application" and "library"?

The application is responsible for providing an XSL stylesheet. JSword
itself does not have one and without it, JSword will only transform
module content into OSIS or spit back raw text. JSword itself knows
how to take an xml document and transform it with an xsl stylesheet,
but is ignorant of what that transformation is. It is the
responsibility of the front-end to do the transformation. BD is the
example of how that is done. It and all its components are GPL.

-- DM