[sword-devel] Bible-Discovery - non-free program using SWORD modules

Jonathan Morgan jonmmorgan at gmail.com
Fri Aug 28 23:33:22 MST 2009

On Sat, Aug 29, 2009 at 12:59 AM, DM Smith<dmsmith at crosswire.org> wrote:
> On 08/28/2009 09:25 AM, Jonathan Morgan wrote:

>>> Yes. But, BD is GPL. However, the stylesheets are all GPL as part of BD.
>>> JSword is not useful without the stylesheets. If they used/derived from
>>> one
>>> of the stylesheet, then their program is infected.
>>>

>> I'm not wishing to start another argument about the GPL, but I think
>> that statement is questionable.
>
> The stylesheet is not part of the any jar file under LGPL but only one that
> is GPL. It is part of BibleDesktop and not part of JSword.
>
> IMHO, academic discussions are fruitless.

Obviously I'm not understanding something here.  When you mentioned
that "JSword is not useful without the stylesheets", I assumed that
you were positioning the stylesheets as part of JSword, hence my
comments.  I assumed JSword provided HTML output as Sword does, and so
a stylesheet would be a necessary part.  Does it only produce OSIS (or
some equivalent) and then leave the application (BD, Alkitab, etc.) to
format it by applying the stylesheet?  If not, what is the division of
responsibility between "application" and "library"?

Jon