[sword-devel] Bible in Portuguese

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Fri Aug 28 09:24:46 MST 2009

Adriano,

Two things are required:

1) A copy which may legally be converted into a module and distributed
(either a version without copyright, in the PD or for which the
copyright holders have given someone permission to create and
disseminate a copy).  If the version you point to is, indeed, public
domain, then this criterion is satisfied.

2) Some person or group with the ability and time to create the
module, test it and verify it.  As for the basics of how to get
started with this, you can see http://www.crosswire.org/wiki/Main_Page
on the right-hand side, information about Module Development.
Admittedly, the pages in that section are really written by the people
who know the process well both as a reminder to themselves and as a
help - but most of us who are on this list or involved with the Wiki
have created modules already or are technologically minded people.
Thus, you might find information missing or difficult to understand -
don't hesitate to ask on this list if you need more information, and
someone will answer and hopefully we will update the Wiki to correct
the deficiency.

Once you have the module created, and it has been verified, tested for
technical and semantic correctness, and the people in charge of module
repositories are happy with the module, it will then be placed in the
public repositories for use by the general public.  I seem to remember
us having a Portugese language Bible at some point in the past - if
it's not present any more, it is likely that the module was in
violation of some sort of copyright.  Someone else will have to give a
definitive answer.  But usually, if we don't have a module, that's
because no one has stepped forward and identified a source and created
a module from it.  There are many possible reasons for that, as I'm
sure you can appreciate - unfamiliarity with the language, with the
legal requirements for copyright, with the myriad technical processes,
etc.

--Greg