[sword-devel] osis2mod linking bug

Gregory Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Fri Sep 5 09:19:38 MST 2008

On Sep 5, 2008, at 11:06, DM Smith <dmsmith555 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Peter von Kaehne wrote:
>>> I think it is a fair assumption for osis2mod input that a chapter
>>> will
>>> be defined with verses in numerical order.
>>>

>> I think this assumption is not correct. I have encountered verse re-
>> ordering in many translations - it usually is only one or two
>> occasions, and can probably safely be ignored until GenBook bibles
>> are teh norm, but as an assumption it is not 100%.
> I'm not sure I understand. Doesn't verse reordering also renumber? Why
> would one have 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 4?
>
> I know some have tried to provide KJV verse numbers for an alternate
> v11n resulting in out of sequence verse numbers. But are there any
> versifications that have out of sequence verse numbers?

Sometimes the translators feel that the verse ordering in the original
is incorrect or just doesn't make sense. Thus they will reorder their
verses in the translation but keep the verse numbers of the "original"
text. Thus you will have scenarios just like your example.

Also, at leaston translation I know of has at least 2 concurrent
versing schemes simultaneously. The Jerusalem bible has passages where
it will have a KJV like scheme as well as the LXX scheme. I presume
Sword can't handle that situation.