[sword-devel] The Sword Project on OpenSolaris

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Sun Oct 12 21:47:57 MST 2008

Karl,

> Sword was obtained by svn checkout at -r2174 (1.5.11 release; GS as
> released and as in svn is not yet compatible with genbook VerseKey).  GS
> was obtained by svn checkout, latest rev.

I used the latest tarball available on Sourceforge.  2.4.0 I believe.

> It was necessary to use gmake rather than make because make complained
> weirdly of "unexpected end of line in reader: Makefile"...for empty
> lines -- riiiiiight.  I invoked all build-related tools with MAKE=gmake
> in order to ensure that it always got the right make.

I didn't run into this issue.  The default "make" command worked fine for me.

> In GnomeSword, I invoked ./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr --enable-gtkhtml.
> It built.  It starts.  It does the first-time user "you need a Bible"
> stage.  It opens the startup splash, works its way through to
> "Displaying GnomeSword"...and drops core.

Identical behavior to my initial startup.  However, when I asked it to
let me install a Bible, it would just bring me back to the same notice
that I needed to install a Bible.  So I installed from the command
line with installmgr and then started up again and got through to the
same place yours did before it dumped.

> "gdb /usr/bin/gnomesword2 core" then drops core on top of my GS core as
> it tries to load an X11 library.  Thankyouverymuch, sheesh.
>
> What's the "standard" Solaris "debugger", and does it have any chance of
> being both usable and useful?

It sounds like we've both arrived, by similar ships, at the same
destination, then.  I don't know the answer to your question -- I
would guess that it's gdb, since it seems that gcc/g++ is the
"standard" compiler toolchain for Solaris.  But that's just my guess.
I haven't seen anything else mentioned.

--Greg