[sword-devel] The Sword Project on OpenSolaris

Karl Kleinpaste karl at kleinpaste.org
Sun Oct 12 05:36:34 MST 2008

All right, I've finally made progress.

I got frustrated enough that I re-installed Solaris because I got to a
point where ./configure stages were failing because gcc had stopped
being able to compile test programs, in turn because ld began
complaining of missing libc symbols.  This was due to either gccruntime
or gcc-dev, I don't know (or care) which.  Forget it, too many variables
not being controlled; wipe and restart.

I installed exactly these packages:

autoconf    automake-110        curl
gmake       gnome-common-devel  icu
libtool     m4                  perl-xml-parser
svn         xorg-headers        xwinc
(most with ob.SUNWstupidprefix crud -- use the Search box liberally.)

Then 2 symlinks were necessary so that GS' configure could work:
cd /usr/bin
ln -s automake-1.10 automake
ln -s acloal-1.10 aclocal

Sword was obtained by svn checkout at -r2174 (1.5.11 release; GS as
released and as in svn is not yet compatible with genbook VerseKey).  GS
was obtained by svn checkout, latest rev.

It was necessary to use gmake rather than make because make complained
weirdly of "unexpected end of line in reader: Makefile"...for empty
lines -- riiiiiight.  I invoked all build-related tools with MAKE=gmake
in order to ensure that it always got the right make.

In Sword usrinst.sh, I turned off debug, icu, and clucene.  It built and
installed fine.

In GnomeSword, I invoked ./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr --enable-gtkhtml.
It built.  It starts.  It does the first-time user "you need a Bible"
stage.  It opens the startup splash, works its way through to
"Displaying GnomeSword"...and drops core.

"gdb /usr/bin/gnomesword2 core" then drops core on top of my GS core as
it tries to load an X11 library.  Thankyouverymuch, sheesh.

What's the "standard" Solaris "debugger", and does it have any chance of
being both usable and useful?